If you’re keen on exploring Portugal and potentially launching a business there, the D2 Visa might be the appropriate choice for you. Also known as the “Portugal Entrepreneur Visa,” This visa enables you to reside in the country for up to one year while you set up your business or investment plans. In this article, we’ll delve into the requirements, advantages, and application process for a D2 Visa in Portugal.
What is D2 Visa in Portugal?
The D2 Visa is a long-term residence visa in Portugal tailored for entrepreneurs, freelancers, and independent professionals. It grants permission to live and work in Portugal for up to 2 years, with the option to renew the visa every three years.
Introduced in 2012, the D2 Visa in Portugal forms part of the country’s strategy to attract foreign investment and foster entrepreneurship. Specifically aimed at entrepreneurs and startup companies, it provides a streamlined path to residency in Portugal. The visa targets individuals looking to establish a new business, invest in an existing one, or become self-employed.
The D2 Visa quickly gained popularity among foreign entrepreneurs and investors due to its relatively low minimum investment requirement, prompt processing times, and flexible eligibility criteria. Since its inception, the D2 Visa has drawn thousands of foreign entrepreneurs and investors to Portugal, contributing to the country’s burgeoning reputation as a hub for startups and innovation.
The introduction of the D2 Visa was part of a broader initiative by the Portuguese government to attract foreign investment and stimulate economic growth. Alongside the D2 Visa, Portugal has several other investment visa programs, such as the Golden Visa Portugal and the D7 visa , focusing on real estate investment and passive income, respectively.
What Are the Advantages of Holding a D2 Visa in Portugal?
There are numerous benefits to obtaining a D2 Visa in Portugal, including:
– The ability to reside and work in Portugal, one of the safest countries globally.
– Freedom to travel within the 27 countries in the Schengen area.
– Opportunities for family reunification, allowing family members of the visa holder to live in Portugal.
– The chance to apply for Portuguese citizenship after five years of residence, one of the shortest durations among European countries.
– Experience the Portuguese lifestyle and culture, along with residency rights, including education and healthcare.
Who Can Apply for the D2 Visa?
To apply for the D2 Visa, you must be a non-EU citizen. The visa is suitable for:
– Entrepreneurs looking to establish a new business in Portugal.
– Business owners seeking to expand by opening a branch or subsidiary in Portugal.
– Self-employed professionals, including independent or liberal professionals, who want to work in Portugal.
– Freelancers and digital nomads offering unique and valuable services relevant to Portugal.
What Documents Are Required for a D2 Visa Application?
For a D2 Visa application, the following documents are necessary:
– Valid Passport
– Completed Application Form
– Health Insurance Coverage
– Declaration outlining reasons for Portugal residency
– Proof of accommodation in Portugal (property title deed or rental long-term agreement)
– Criminal record issued within 90 days before the submission date
– Proof of financial means to support yourself during your stay in Portugal
– Detailed business plan or investment plan
– Proof of financial means available in Portugal for running the business
– Contract or written service provider proposal for liberal professions, and, if applicable, a declaration by competent authorities certifying professional competence.
What Is the Application Process for a D2 Visa in Portugal?
The application process for a D2 Visa in Portugal involves the following steps:
- Prepare the required documentation.
- Submit the application to the Portuguese embassy or consulate.
- Attend an interview to demonstrate your skills and qualifications.
- Wait for the visa decision, which can take up to 60 days.
- Travel to Portugal and apply for residency.
- Attend SEF for biometric data and document submission.
What Is the Processing Time for a D2 Visa Application in Portugal?
The processing time for a D2 Visa application in Portugal varies but generally takes from several weeks to several months, depending on the embassy or consulate’s workload.
What Is the Cost of Obtaining a D2 Visa in Portugal?
The cost of obtaining a D2 Visa in Portugal includes government fees, translation and notarization expenses, and potential fees for using an immigration company. The total cost can range from €300 to around €500-€1000 for supporting documents.
What Is the Minimum Stay Requirement for a D2 Visa in Portugal?
The minimum stay requirement for a D2 Visa in Portugal is six consecutive months in the first year and non-sequential sixteen months during two years.
What Are Common Reasons for D2 Visa Application Rejections in Portugal?
Common reasons for D2 Visa application rejections in Portugal include incomplete or incorrect application forms, insufficient financial means, lack of a viable business plan, and a criminal record.
Can Family Members Be Added to a D2 Visa in Portugal?
Family members can be added to a D2 Visa application in Portugal, allowing for family reunification. Necessary documentation demonstrating the relationship and dependence, along with evidence of financial support, must be provided.
Can I Obtain a Passport with a D2 Visa in Portugal?
After holding a D2 Visa in Portugal for a minimum of five years, you become eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship, providing you meet additional criteria, including passing a Portuguese language test at the A1-A2 level.
The D2 Visa in Portugal presents a promising opportunity for entrepreneurs, business owners, and self-employed professionals to establish their presence in the country. It offers the flexibility to pursue business ventures, self-employment, and family reunification. However, obtaining a D2 Visa is not guaranteed, and consulting with an immigration lawyer is recommended to ensure a complete and accurate application.
As Portugal Property Advisor , we’re here to simplify your path to the D2 Visa. Our expertise in Portugal’s real estate market helps you find the right property, whether you’re buying or renting, that meets D2 Visa requirements. We guide you through legal complexities, ensuring all required documents are in order and help you understand the financial aspects.
We also have a network of experts, making connections with legal and immigration authorities smoother. We assist with practical matters like obtaining a Portuguese tax identification number (NIF) and opening a bank account. Even after you secure your D2 Visa, we continue to support your transition into Portuguese life.
Our mission is to make the D2 Visa process hassle-free, allowing you to fully enjoy your new life in Portugal. Please contact us for a free consultation